Rhino For Jewellery CAD Design and Rapid Prototyping
Originally developed as a response to AutoCAD’s limitations with smooth 3D modelling, Rhino 3D is a general product design CAD tool which has been adopted by many different design specialities such as furniture, footwear, and jewellery. Its product design roots give it a great deal of flexibility, and also make it ideal for designing complex assemblies.
While Rhino is all that is needed to design models for rapid prototyping, each design speciality has added extensions (or plug-ins) for Rhino to make their jobs easier. Some examples include rendering tools (such as V-Ray or Maxwell), additional methods of working (T-Splines), and Jewellery plug-ins (such as RhinoGold or RhinoJewel). For Holts Academy of Jewellery’s Rhino for Jewellery Design course, we teach students as if they only have Rhino without any plug-ins.
Holts Academy offers private tuition courses in Rhino for beginner and intermediate users, specifically focused on Jewellery Design. They also offer a separate dedicated short courses for both T-Splines, and V-Ray for Jewellery Rendering.
Selected Tutorial Videos – Rhino for Jewellery
Tutorial Videos of My Creation
- Making a Channel Set Eternity Ring
- Using Matrix techniques in Rhino part 1 – Making ring rails and profiles for sweeping, and making gemstones and bezel settings
- Using Matrix techniques in Rhino part 2 – Making gems on surface, gem cutters, and pave prongs
Tutorial Videos From Other Users
- Basics of Rhino’s User Interface
- Basic Commands – Move, Rotate, Copy, and Scale
- Making a Ring With a Patterned Surface
- One Approach for Making a Simple Bombay Ring
- Making a Collegiate Signet Ring, Part 1
- Making a Collegiate Signet Ring, Part 2
- Making a Collegiate Signet Ring, Part 3
To Learn More About Jewellery CAD/CAM
If any of these tutorials whets your appetite for learning more about how to use Rhino for jewellery CAD design and manufacturing, take a look at the CAD courses or one-to-one bespoke training offered at Holts Academy of Jewellery.