3Design CAD (pronounced Three Design) is the only jewellery CAD program that runs on Mac and Linux as well as PC. It offers a very different approach to modelling, involving working with solids rather than surfaces, deforming existing shapes, and combining them with a host of jewellery-specific commands such as pave and shank builders.
3Design CAD’s Advantages and Weaknesses
3Design is a fully parametric CAD modelling program. That means you don’t store models as geometry, but rather as steps in a process. If you go back and change an earlier step, all later steps will be affected. While most CAD programs now have some limited parametric capability (often called History), the fact 3Design is designed entirely around parametric modelling makes it ideal for any workflow where the designer has to rework the design over and over again, such as size ranges or collections based on the same motif.
In practice, it also means you’re building objects based upon each other rather than just placing geometry in space. This can make creating complex mechanisms and assemblies a bit tricker conceptually than they might be in programs without full parametrics.
There’s more to it than just that. Contact me to discuss the advantages of 3Design relative to other jewellery CAD programs, and whether 3Design is the best jewellery CAD software package for you.
To Learn More About Jewellery CAD/CAM
If this whets your appetite for learning more about how to use 3Design software for your CAD/CAM jewellery design and manufacturing, I can provide you with three options:
- I offer a short courses in 3Design CAD for beginner and intermediate users, focusing on using the program’s parametric functionality to help streamline the design and editing process for CAD jewellery design.
- I offer bespoke training. Contact me directly to find out more about upcoming short courses or bespoke private tuition to suit your business needs and timetables.
- You’ll find below a series of tutorial videos I’ve collected which can both help you get a feeling for what the software is like to use, and also how to perform certain key tasks in the software.
Selected Tutorial Videos – 3Design CAD
Tutorial Videos of My Creation
Tutorial Videos From Other Users
- Easy Engagement Ring
- The Loft Command
- Mapping Stars
- Advanced Surface Texture Tool
- Wire Bracelet
- Building a Ruby Halo Ring
- Teardrop Pendant with 3Shaper
- Sculpting a Starfish with 3Shaper
- 3Design themselves have also made a series of Youtube videos of some of their Classic 3Design Basic Tutorials.
- If you speak Spanish (or are good at following visuals), the Escuela de Joyeria CADJ channel on Youtube has numerous excellent tutorials on using the various tools in 3Design.